Sunday, January 3, 2016

Equality in our Laws

Every generation has its thematic movements and issues.  We have had women's rights, civil rights, constitutional rights, anti-war opposition, etc.  In 2016, is history repeating itself or is the true theme that we have yet to constructively address the issues?  The movements I have mentioned are all based on rights:  rights to equality, right to self-determination, right to marry legally, right to carry a gun, rights to equal justice, rights to practice (or not practice) religion.  Why are we still not addressing the underlying issues in our society?  And in an election year, why aren't we supporting or identifying leadership that is part of the solution; not a distraction from what really matters to Americans and all humans for that matter?

The latter part is something that I do understand as a mediator.  After listening to 100's of individuals in conflict, I have learned that humans truly all have the same basic needs:  food, shelter, security, ability to take care of self and family.  Frequently these are the only issues that are considered when addressing societal issues by our leaders.  Consider Maslow's Hierarchy of needs:  love and belongingness, self esteem and achieving mastery as we self-actualize.  In the first two levels of physiological and biological, and safety needs, much emphasis is placed on "laws" in our society.  However, "laws" are not applied evenly.  When our laws are created by a particular sect in society, say ones that are able to achieve the higher levels of needs due to their societal "privelege", the "laws" may prevent others who are not of the same privelege from even meeting their own need of safety and security.  Or perhaps the way safety and security are attained looks very different from the "law" makers.

While I have had the opportunity to live where I was a minority, I could always hop on a plane and return to a society where I could exercise my "white" privilege.  Granted, as a middle-aged woman, I do experience a certain amount of discrimination:  wage equality and gender bias.  I have learned to adapt and create opportunities for myself that are outside of the limited thinking that would otherwise impact my ability to self-actualize.

Next week, I will be participating in a community forum to dialog about racism.  While I hope that I am not completely blind to it, I do want to understand my role in it and what I can do to address my biases, create equitable opportunities and reduce racism in our community.  I am both excited and nervous about my participation and look forward to challenging my own beliefs and ideas.

In 2016, one of my goals is to be more comfortable and understanding of challenges and opportunities for people who are not like me and to stop thinking of these issues as "their" problem.  We are all in this together; let's start thinking together to create a society that allows for equal rights for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment