Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Fear and Hope

It is the middle of summer, yet here in Hawaii, the yellow buses are rolling and the kids are already in their second week of school.  Before you think that our summers are short, I assure you that they are not as students are out of school before Memorial Day.  For those that are returning to UH Maui College, myself included as a 4th semester lecturer, we have a little over a week before students return. This year I will be looking for a familiar face on campus:  my oldest son!

Summer is also time for the summer movie blockbusters.  This trend means more guns, shooting and violence sometimes disguised behind the mask of a hero or otherwise.  The tragic event that occurred in Aurora was the event that finally pushed me over the edge of tolerance for thinking that Hollywood's constant stream of weapons, power and violence are somehow entertaining.  I say, "no more".  I must confess to seeing the final Batman movie and enjoying it.  To me there is more to the character of Batman, a real dark side that is both tragic yet hopeful.  Bruce Wayne is a prime example of someone who can afford it all but still is conflicted and unfulfilled.  I also have a crush on Christian Bale who is by far my favorite actor to don the amazing bat suit.  Anne Hathaway did justice to the Catwoman role as well.  Gave a sense of lightness to an otherwise dark movie.

But I digress.  I have decided that I have personally had enough of the violence.  I feel like there is enough stress and violence in our world and that taking an afternoon or evening to "escape" to the movies is no longer an escape if it is filled with tyranny, power and attempted resolution through violent actions.  I want to feel hopeful and relaxed.  Not stressed and shocked.  The animated movies are starting to look more attractive.  

The one thing that I do appreciate from these movies is the hope factor.  There is always hope for the underdog otherwise we wouldn't go to the movie.  In real life, we have this same hope.  As a democracy, we still hope to bring change and correct injustices that we see and experience.  We have seen nations create movements that were started by the acts of a few; the most recent event is going on right now in Russia with the 3 women of Pussy Riot protesting Putin's power as he enters his third term.  More specifically they were challenging the church and state relationship.  These 3 women have sparked both fear and hope in their country.  While their physical freedom is at jeopardy, their "inner freedom" remains their own.

The hope for our kids on the yellow school buses is that by attending school each day, they will advance to the next level and be that much closer to becoming an adult.  The hope of the underdog in the summer blockbuster is that good will overcome evil or that they will die trying for the good of all mankind.  What brings you hope?

No comments:

Post a Comment