Friday, August 17, 2012

Motivation and Sweat

As some of you may or may not know, I teach a Spin class at the local YMCA once a week.  Spinning is the licensed program name for a group class workout on a stationary bike to music that is lead by an instructor.  The bikes have the ability to adjust the tension on the flywheel helping to simulate hills and flats.  According to the training manual, there are 5 sanctioned positions on the bike:  seated flat, standing flat/jog, seated climb, standing climb and jumps.  Other instructors may get a bit more creative than me, but I tend to follow the guidelines of Spinning and keep to those 5 basics.  Interjected in there are also plays with resistance and speed; tools to help build up endurance, challenge and strengthen the cardiovascular system.


When Spinning first game to the Y, I refused to join the "crowd".  All attempts at cajoling me to participate were resisted.  I was very happy listening to my iPod and catching up on People Magazine on the treadmill and elliptical.  I got my sweat on and heart rate up!  I dutifully lifted weights where I strengthened and toned muscles and built up my metabolism.  Besides, from the magazines I would sweat on, I picked up tips (how to get shoulders like Gwyneth Paltrow, abs like Halle Berry) and apply them to my workout.  One day I accidentally saw my reflection in the locker room mirror and realized that I needed to do more.  However, I lacked motivation.  Sharing this with a friend one day, we realized that we needed each other.  She loved Spinning and I loved weights.  We scheduled 3 days a week to meet for both a Spin class and weight room time.  My workouts took on a level of accountability because my friend was counting on me to show up and I didn't want to disappoint.

The partnership didn't last long but my love and appreciation of Spinning did.  Fitting into clothes and cringing less in the locker room mirror were motivation enough for me.   Eventually being a student wasn't enough; I wanted to control the music and motivate students so I took the certification training and became an instructor.

Combining two things that I love, Spinning and coaching, were a natural fit for me.  As a coach, whether for AYSO, the YMCA or in my conflict resolution work, the focus is on the athlete or client.  It isn't about me.  My role is to motivate and help the individuals be successful in meeting their own goals.  I help them to stay focused and use the steps to get them there.  As a student, I tend to avoid coaches that yell and belittle to motivate; that doesn't work for me.  I want someone who creates the environment and opportunity for me to be successful.

What are some of the goals?  Well, a 10 year old soccer player may have the need to overcome goal keeping fears or make new friends.  A Spinner may have the goal to lose weight or escape from reality for an hour.  A client may have the goal of increasing revenues by 2% or creating a conflict management system.  My role as coach is to facilitate the process that makes each participant able to achieve what they see as a valuable goal for them.  If you are in my Spinning class, you can also count on being motivated by the driving beat of an 80's song!

What are your goals and who motivates you?

No comments:

Post a Comment